A big hello as we continue through August! In this edition we’re celebrating the success of our international clients – so our articles will take you across the globe from New Zealand over to Hungary, down to Australia, to Canada and the USA, and Japan. As you’ve come to expect, we’ve jam packed our update with tips and strategies to help your teams perform at their best when it matters the most. So, let’s get started…
AROUND THE WORLD – SHINING THE SPOTLIGHT ON OUR CLIENTS
Our clients are interesting and inspiring, so we thought we’d take you on a world journey that creates a window into their work.
Debunking the Myth of Leadership
Sarah Leberman, Professor of Leadership at Massey University, New Zealand talks leadership, drawing on her experience with teams vying for #1 world rankings. She shares with us what leadership looks like in a high-performance sporting environment. Read more to debunk the myth.
Hungarian Sport Reaches for New Heights
We take a closer look at into Hungarian high performance sport. We talk to Szabolcs Hollósi and uncover exactly how he’s partnering with Hungarian sporting teams to unlock their performance potential. He talks about the role that self-awareness plays in athletic excellence and the way he prepares people for personal change. Take a closer look here.
Ensuring Your Game Preparation is Complete
Leaping across continents, we talk to Canadian Mental Performance Consultant, Kyle McDonald on their number one sport, Hockey (ice hockey of course)! He pinpoints the key differentiator between athletes who perform and their competitors. Plus, he talks about an often missed element in game preparation, shares valuable insights garnered from working with Canada’s top ice hockey athletes and explains the impact of stress and pressure on performance. Click here to nail your game preparation.
Prodigious Contribution to Coaching
While still in North America, we talk to Dr Charles “Hal” Wilson about the reasons behind his enormous contribution to coaching, what he speaks on for Basketball USA, and how he includes non-technical skills in his teaching curriculum at Georgia Southern University where he’s on faculty as Associate Professor for the Master of Science, Kinesiology, Coaching Education Concentration. Read more to be inspired by Hal.
Exceptional Outcomes, Unexpected Approach
Now back to Australia, Stewart Briggs, of Acceleration sports performance development centres, gives us the inside information about the way he’s working with his team of 20 coaches. He explains what they do on their Professional Development Days to give coaches extra tools to connect with their athletes and uncover extraordinary performances. He also talks about the 3 factors he considers to be most important when working with young, developing athletes. Learn how to adjust your approach for exceptional outcomes.
5 MINUTE VIDEOS
This edition’s videos focus on recovering from mistakes and the important differences between the process you use IN game to get back on track and the process you use to learn from your mistakes POST game.
Recovering from Mistakes IN Game
Every game and every competition is full of mistakes, but performances are defined by the ability to recover from these mistakes. In this 5 Minutes with Bo Hanson video, he gives a simple 3 step strategy for dealing with mistakes IN game (or in your race). On the surface, the world’s top athletes deliver impeccable performances every time, but when you pull their game/race apart, what they actually have, is an incredible ability to get their game/race back on track. Watch now.
Learning from Mistakes POST Game
Mistake minimization is an essential part of elevating performance and while IN game strategies are all about getting back into the game as fast as possible, POST game strategies are all about massively learning from errors to ensure they don’t reoccur in the future. This 5 Minutes with Bo Hanson gives you a simple 3 step strategy for dealing with mistakes POST game/race so you have a plan for the future and a mindset that uses mistakes to leverage performance to new levels. Watch now!
And along this theme, you might also enjoy reading the article ‘What to Look for in Losses’.
MOST TALKED ABOUT TOPICS
Fresh perspectives and new insights into the issues that surround coaching, athletic improvement and high-performance sport.
6 Reasons to Rethink 360 Observer Feedback Opportunities
360 Observer Feedback offers a multitude of development opportunities. It’s an inclusive process, gives everyone a voice and provides a new window on performance. The process reveals patterns that were always there, strengths you didn’t know you had and areas for improvement, which you can surround with training and development to lift your performance to the next level. Importantly, we reveal the requisite mindset and approach to ensure your team make the most of 360 Observer Feedback opportunities. Click here to read more.
How Skills from Sport Transfer to the Workplace
This one is a MUST read for anyone working with athletes in a university setting! In addition to athletic excellence for its own merit, consider sport’s team building, competition and development as a training ground for future employment and careers. This article examines the attributes and skills that sport develops, allowing you to quickly understand why student-athletes excel in the work place. Don’t miss out! Read on to find out more.
Get WISE on a TOUGH Challenge
As a coach are you clear on the terms of toughness? Bo Hanson takes us through the different mental approaches an athlete needs to succeed, survive and thrive in the testing world of sport. Hanson shares his strategies which lead to a reliable and repeatable approach that every athlete can use, every time. Learn how Gen Y and Z athletes can develop strategies that will have you comparing their toughness to teams past. Find out how being WISE can help you.
WHAT’S NEW AND WHAT’S ON?
August 2019: Liz Hanson will be in Japan presenting at the Japanese Women Leaders and Coaches Academy 27 – 29 August, Karuizawa, Japan
With Tokyo 2020 just over 12 months away, the 2019 Japanese Women Leaders and Coaches Academy promises to be exciting. Offering Japanese women coaches an exciting opportunity to develop their skill-set alongside coaching colleagues from around the country, the 2019 program features an accomplished line-up of local and international presenters. Liz Hanson, Athlete Assessments’ CEO and Client Director, was invited back to speak at the 2019 conference, as she has been every year since the conference’s inception.
June 2019: Laren Dyer was at the NASSM Conference in New Orleans
Laren Dyer, Athlete Assessments Operations Manager, immersed himself in the ideas surrounding Sport Management, its marketing, administration, organisation and operation at the three-day NASSM conference held in New Orleans. While he was exhibiting for Athlete Assessments at the pivotal conference, Laren also caught up with our clients and met some fantastic people from universities in the North American region.
May and June 2019: Liz was at the two 2019 NCAA Women Coaches Academies
Each year WeCOACH runs a series of highly acclaimed NCAA Women Coaches Academies and in May and June 2019 they were in Denver, Colorado. The Women Coaches Academy was run, alongside the graduate program, a master class Academy 2.0. The Academies are unique opportunities for women coaches to develop valuable professional networks, meet other female coaching colleagues, mentors and peers plus connect across all three divisions and sports. Liz Hanson, Athlete Assessments’ CEO and Client Director, again presented at the Academy as she has done 3 times every year since 2010 and at every Academy 2.0 since it began.
AND HERE COMES THE PITCH…
We appreciate those of you who have made it all the way to this part of our newsletter. If you love what we do and want us to be involved in your sporting life, there are many different ways to consider working with us:
- Are you a sport psychologist or performance consultant and inspired by our articles about Kyle McDonald, Sarah Leberman and Szabolcs Hollósi? You too can take your consultancy to the next level and achieve great success. As a top consultant, your clients rely on you being the best in your field, knowing the true determinants of success, and having access to the tools that will make the most impact when it comes to improving performance. Athlete Assessments’ DISC Profiling is the tool you need to help your clients realize their full potential. Find out more about Athlete Assessments’ Consultant Program now.
- With the northern hemisphere Fall sports in their pre-season and planning underway for the Winter sports too, make sure you’re aware of our very popular Team Programs. These are still our foundation service and what is most in demand with our coach clients. Team building isn’t an event, it’s a process and it’s exactly why our Team Programs include staged development. We work alongside your coaches and team to ensure they get the most value from our work together, and most importantly, get results. Or, would this program benefit your team of staff like Stewart Briggs and his team of strength and conditioning coaches? With a client retention rate of 96%, alongside an impressive track record of National Championships, if you don’t already know about our Team Programs, find out today!
- If our article about award-winning Dr Hal Wilson inspired you, find out more about how he works with Athlete Assessments. Our DISC Profiles (the only ones available specifically for sport) are used in the classroom at many of the top universities within their Bachelor and Master’s programs in Sport Management & Leadership, Coaching and Sport Psychology. Our Academic clients know that the success of their students reflects the success of their program, so they focus on providing their students with the skills that will differentiate them within a competitive sports industry. Find out more about the Athlete Assessments Academic Program.
- Looking for fun team bonding activities to sustain you throughout the year? Consider our DISC Card Game! It has unlimited ways to be played to help build self-awareness, understanding of others, improve communication and build relationships. Find out about our DISC Card Game today!
- Get the answer to the Tough question! Developed initially as a support service to assist our existing clients with developing mental toughness in their athletes, the ATHLETE TOUGH Program has grown to be a stand out, stand-alone product. The Handbook is written in plain English and is highly illustrated to keep your athletes engaged, while the video series makes it easy for coaches to implement. Find out for yourself why so many coaches love the ATHLETE TOUGH Program and read what they have to say.
- With most of the summer camps now complete, are you thinking about your next Camp? And how to differentiate yours from all of the other choices young athletes have? Here’s how you can make yours standout from the rest and add exceptional value to your campers’ experience with you. Athlete Assessments now have an Elite Sports Camp service that you need to be aware of.
- Coming Soon! Athlete Assessments DISC Compatibility Report and Career Compatibility Report: Athlete Assessments is always chasing the 0.1% improvements. We have recently been working on two exciting new development tools that will be launched shortly to assist our clients in creating sustained success in their programs, and life after sport. Our two new reports are compatible with each of the AthleteDISC, CoachDISC and Sports ManagerDISC Profiles, and we will help you to implement exciting system features and reports. Get a sneak peek now!
Inspirational YouTube Video
With the theme of Japan 2020, we’re excited and want to share this with you too. *Warning* this video may get the blood pumping and adrenaline soaring.
Quotes to Inspire You
And we’ll leave you with our popular quotes section of our newsletter!
When my body gets tired, my mind says “This is where winners are made.”
When my mind gets tired, my heart says “This is where champions are made.”
Forever is composed of nows.
I’ve grown most not from victories, but setbacks.
If winning is the reward, then losing is what teaches us.
Inspired by Serena Williams
Want to be kept in the loop?
My very best,
Liz Hanson and the Athlete Assessments Team
Don’t miss another newsletter! Sign up today…
At Athlete Assessments, we’re here to provide you with excellence in service and to help you be your best. If there is anything we can assist you with, please Contact Us.